COLLEGE APPLICATION STEPS:
1. Once you are a SENIOR and you have submitted your application to a speific college, log on to NAVIANCE and click on the College Tab and go to Colleges I'm Applying To - only add colleges to this list when you complete and submit an appliation to the college.
2. Once you have applied to the college either through the common application or the college website, you MUST come to the Counseling Office and let Mrs. Redaelli (secretary) know where you applied and what forms you need us to send through Naviance. We have NO WAY of knowing that a student has applied to a college unless the student comes to the Counseling Office and lets us know in person that they have applied even after they have updated their Naviance account.
3. The Counseling Office does not send ACT/SAT test scores to the colleges. When you register to take these tests you must put down the colleges you want your scores sent to.
4. To register for the ACT go to www.actstudent.org and for the SAT go to www.collegeboard.com.
5. Make sure students know when college deadlines are: The Counseling Office requires at least a two-week notice for all application deadlines. Please do not tell us you have a November 1 deadline during the last week of October.
Students applying to colleges must complete the FERPA Waiver on Naviance. This enables the Counseling Office to send records electronically through Naviance. You can find the FERPA Waiver in the section of Naviance called "Colleges I am Applying To". Make sure you use your Common Application username and password when completing the FERPA Waiver in Naviance. Your Naviance and Common Application password MUST be the same. If you hve registered for Naviance already and forget your username/password please see your counselor for that information.
- It is very important for students to be visitng colleges before their senior year.
- You will not really know if that college is for you unless you have been on the campus and get a comfortable feeling.
- Many college admission officers come to LHS to meet with students in person. These visits will all be listed on Naviance for students to see and hopefully sign up to attend.
A listing of all national scholarships or any scholarship that is mailed to our office is available on Naviance for students to apply to.
Some schools require an essay(s) to accompany the application. This gives the admissions committee a sense of the applicant's writing ability and provides insight into the student. The essay should address the topic clearly and honestly. Also, ask a teacher or parent to proof your essay. Begin these early!
Letter of Recommendation/Worksheet for Counselor:
Complete and return to Counseling Office a Letter of Recommendation Worksheet (download here). Your counselor will use the information about you as he or she writes a letter of recommendation to be sent with the college application.
1. Colleges do not accept late applications.
2. Sign your application.
3. Follow all instructions carefully. Each college has its own set of instructions and requirements.
Please allow the Counseling Dept. two weeks to process your applications